FORDYCE — The suspect in the Friday mass shooting in a Fordyce grocery and parking lot made his first appearance in the circuit court room of the Ouachita County Detention Center in Camden.
Four full days after the Mad Butcher shooting, in which four people died and nine others were injured, answers to a possible motive remained unknown. Arkansas State Police Director Col. Mike Hagar said in a Sunday press conference “no personal connection” between the shooter and victims appeared and that it was “a random senseless act” perpetrated on “targets of opportunity.”
The suspect is identified as Travis Eugene Posey, 44, of New Edinburg.
Sarah Sturgis, sister to deceased shooting victim Roy Sturgis, 50, attended the proceedings along with numerous law enforcement officers and a dozen members of the state and local press corps.
Independent reporting for Pine Bluff & Jefferson County since 1879.
The first appearance was presided over by Judge Ryan Phillips. Prior to proceeding, Phillips stated even though this case is still “mentally and physically fresh” to those involved, all who were in a court of law would maintain appropriate decorum.
Escorted by law officers, an expressionless Posey entered the courtroom handcuffed wearing an orange inmate shirt and pants. Other than a slight limp, evidence of multiple gunshot wounds he received in the shootout was not present.
Executive Director of the Arkansas Public Defenders Commission Gregg Parrish entered a plea of “not guilty” on behalf of Posey on four counts of capital murder and 10 counts of attempted capital murder. Parrish stated that Posey had signed an affidavit of indigency on Sunday, entitling him to a court appointed attorney.
State attorney Phillip Stone requested no bond, referencing Arkansas constitutional statute Article II, Section 8 as prohibiting bail in such instances. He further stated that releasing Posey would pose a danger to the community.
Parrish acquiesced, asking the court to make the decision. Judge Phillips honored the state’s request.
The judge further stated to the defendant and his attorney, “You’ll be contacted once charges are filed and contacted with an arraignment date.” With that, the hearing was adjourned.
Parrish gave his client a brief pat on the shoulder before deputies returned Posey to the Ouachita County Detention Center. Future court proceedings are expected to convene in Dallas County, where the act occurred.
When asked outside the courtroom if a mental evaluation for the accused had been requested, head state public defender Parrish said, “We have got to get discovery before that. We have a lot of work to do first.”
When asked if the state had requested the death penalty, the short answer was “no.” However, by Arkansas Code Annotated 16-87-306(2), when the prosecutor does not announce whether or not he is seeking the death penalty, it is assumed he is.
“Under our state law, until the prosecutor finally requests the death penalty, the defense must assume he will,” Parrish said.
Organizations continued to reach out to Fordyce with ongoing support. Lutheran Church Charities out of Northbrook, Ill., arrived in in town Tuesday morning erecting white crosses bearing the names of the four deceased at the impromptu Mad Butcher parking lot memorial site.
“The reason we exist is to bring the mercy, compassion, presence and proclamation of Jesus Christ to those who are in need,” pastor and president of the association Chris Singer said in regard to why they were there.
“When you see this kind of thing, you can’t help but ask why,” he stated. “We know there is brokenness and hurt in this world. No laws of rules will change that. But if we can’t make it disappear, we can push back against the darkness with light and love.”
Members of the group traveled by car and commercial airline from Illinois to share that compassion and concern for the citizens of Fordyce. They have placed similar crosses at nine other mass shootings sites across the country in the past year. The group was joined in their mission to Fordyce by Pine Bluff Trinity Lutheran Church pastor Stewart Marshall.
In response to Friday’s shooting in Fordyce, Nicole Hockley, co-founder and co-CEO of Sandy Hook Promise and mother of Dylan who was killed in the Sandy Hook Elementary School tragedy, issued the following statement:
“People going about their day, doing things as basic as purchasing groceries for their households, should never have to endure the horrific mass violence that Fordyce has just experienced. Our hearts are shattered by this senseless act. The pain of having a loved one taken by gun violence has a devastating impact on both the surviving family members and the wider community. We stand with each one of these families and with Fordyce in mourning for every life affected by this terrible incident.”
“In the face of such tragedy, we must all come together – locally and nationally – to support those who are grieving and work together to reverse this epidemic plaguing our country. By learning to recognize the warning signs and how to get help, while also advocating for comprehensive legislative solutions, we can create safer schools, homes, and communities in the U.S.”
Brittney Sullivent, who was shot in the face during the rampage, returned home Tuesday from her hospitalization at UAMS Medical Center in Little Rock. A Facebook post from her family announced, “Look at this!! She’s headed home. We appreciate all the prayers and visitors. She needs lots of rest and prayers for full recovery still.”
Services for the four deceased victims of the mass shootings:
Roy Sturgis, 10 a.m. Friday at Benton Funeral Home Chapel, 501 West Fourth Street in Fordyce.
Callie Weems, 10 a.m. Saturday at Benton Funeral Home.
Ellen Shrum, 2 p.m. Sunday at Zion Baptist Church, north of Fordyce.
Shirley Thompson, 2 p.m. Monday at Benton Funeral Home.
In a recent Facebook post, FBT Bank & Mortgage President Jim Hulse said: “Employees, officers and directors of FBT Bank & Mortgage are all deeply saddened by the tragedy that occurred at the Mad Butcher in Fordyce on June 21. We are a community bank and Fordyce is our home. God has blessed our bank and He has led FBT to be a blessing as we have covered the funeral expenses for the four people who lost their lives in the mass shooting.”
Members of the Lutheran Church Charities group from Northbrook, Ill., traveled to Fordyce to erect memorial crosses in honor of those who perished at the site of the June 21 mass shooting. From left: Pastor and group president the Rev. Chris Singer, Pine Bluff Trinity Lutheran Church Pastor Stewart Marshall, Eric Wendelbo, Roxy Hurry and Mark Holt. (Special to The Commercial/Richard Ledbetter)
