A prison inmate assigned to the Pine Bluff Unit who drove away from a work release site Thursday was arrested without incident Friday afternoon.
Prison spokeswoman Cathy Frye said Jason Satterfield, 44, was taken into custody by two special agents from the Arkansas State Police who saw Satterfield walking down Arkansas Highway 131 at about 2 p.m.
“They were part of the search and saw him near Rosemary Street and arrested him,” Frye said.
Prison officials and law enforcement agencies had been concentrating their search in the North Little Rock area since Friday morning when a truck that Satterfield took when he left the work release site was found in the Interstate 440/Highway 131 area at about 9:30 a.m.
Frye said officers developed information that the truck had been seen in the same area Thursday afternoon at about 2 p.m. but the person who saw it did not know that there was an escapee on the loose at the time they saw the vehicle and so they did not report it.
Independent reporting for Pine Bluff & Jefferson County since 1879.
She said Satterfield was taken back to the Pine Bluff Unit for questioning and then will be taken to the Maximum Security Unit at Tucker where he will be held pending the filing of charges.
“What his intentions were or why he left are things they hope to find out when they question him,” Frye said.
Satterfield was serving 15 years for hot check violations when he left Whitten Concrete at 2703 W. Second Ave. Thursday morning. In addition to the truck, Satterfield also took $190 from the cash register. He was not believed to be armed when he left the job site.
According to the Department of Correction website, Satterfield has previously used the names Joseph Anthony Bergeron, Joseph Bergeson and Jason Wayne Satterfield.
Satterfield began serving his present sentence May 4, 2010, and would have been eligible to apply for parole on April 2, 2017.