Advertisement
News

Schools on hold in wake of ruling

The White Hall School District, like a number of other Arkansas districts, is “on hold” in the wake of a federal judge’s decision to strike down the state School Choice Act of 1989 in violation of the Equal Protection Clause of the 14th Amendment to the U. S. Constitution, Superintendent Dr. Larry Smith told White Hall directors Tuesday evening.

The judge’s ruling, in effect, “wiped out the law,” Smith said.

Until the state decides what measures to take, including an appeal or legislative action, the White Hall district, 115 students enrolled in the district under the act and “84 active applications are in limbo,” he added.

White Hall receives $6,267 in state aid monies for each student enrolled in the district, with the number enrolled last year under school choice, more than $700,000 is included in the district’s budget for the 2012-13 school year, when the money will be received.

School superintendents were advised that the state is expected to act quickly in response to the court ruling, Smith said, but until that action is taken no decisions can be made on students enrolled under school choice or the pending applications.

Section 6-18-206(f)(1) of the act states that a student’s transfer to a district other than their home district is dependent upon whether the non-resident district has a higher percentage of children of the student’s race than the percentage in the student’s home district.

Smith was in Little Rock Monday in hopes of learning “something, anything” at the Arkansas Board of Education meeting. Instead, learned the board had removed the Dollarway School District’s superintendent and the school board as a result of two consecutive years of accreditation violations at Dollarway High School.

The board instructed ADE Commissioner Tom Kimbrell to appoint an administrator to oversee the day-to-day operations of the Dollarway district. Smith said the board’s decision, coupled with the federal court action, means he has more questions than ever.

“For the present the decision involving Dollarway does not impact the White Hall district,” he said.

In other action Tuesday, the board:

– Received notice from the Legislative Joint Auditing Committee for a successful audit for the year ending June 30, 2011;

– Approved a request for use of school facilities for the all-classmates annual reunion Sept. 28 and 29 and the use of the White Hall High School stadium for the annual July 4 fireworks display;

– Acknowledged receipt of a letter citing 35 WHHS sophomores for meeting or exceeding ACT benchmarks in English, mathematics, reading and science;

– Recognized student athletics for state accomplishments in soccer, softball and baseball, including two state championships, and two WHHS students who placed high in the state Skills USA competition;

– Acknowledged receipt of a letter from the Monticello School District superintendent complementing the WHHS baseball team for their performance in the recent 5A state baseball tournament held in Monticello;

– Allowed Bryan Paint and Carpet to withdraw its bid for tile work at Gandy Elementary School because of a miscalculation in the bid and accepted the bid of the second lowest bidder, Carpet Barn;

– Approved a tentative district budget for the 2013-14 school year;

– Approved bids for the purchase of copy paper, athletic and activities insurance, vehicle and property insurance and floor cleaning equipment;

– Adopted a district wellness policy and district parental involvement policy and plan for the 2012-13 school year; and

– Accepted the resignation and retirement notices of five teachers and hired four teachers and coaches.