Advertisement
News

Petrino reaches out to players

HOOVER, Ala. — Arkansas running back Knile Davis knew the phone call would come at some point. It did last week.

Bobby Petrino, the coach who recruited him at Arkansas and was abruptly gone three years later thanks to an ill-advised motorcycle ride, finally reached out to Davis and a few other Razorbacks. He wanted to apologize.

“He was just saying he’s sorry for what happened,” Davis said Wednesday. “And he expected me to have a big season. “I could hear the humbleness and the hurt in his voice. He was really hurt by it. I said, ‘Coach, don’t be too hard on yourself. You’ll come back from this.’ He just told me that he loved me and that was pretty much it.”

Arkansas is nearly four months removed from the scandal which rocked the program, but Davis’ revelation about the long-awaited phone call from his former coach made it clear the healing process continues. So the Razorbacks, regarded as one of the most intriguing teams in the country this season, offered their recollections of the forgettable spring and the way they’ve moved forward during their four hours in the Wynfrey Hotel.

Davis said the phone call from Petrino provided closure.

“I’m glad that he did call me — just with respect,” Davis said about Petrino. “It was cool. Now I’m ready to go.”

Arkansas has big plans for the 2012 thanks to veterans like Davis, quarterback Tyler Wilson and linebacker Tenarius Wright. The three, who are among six team captains, represented a group which has gone 21-5 the past two seasons and remains loaded with talent.

The Razorbacks expect to challenge Alabama and LSU for the SEC championship despite the headaches. And there have been plenty in a tumultuous offseason which has included Petrino’s demise, player arrests, and new head coach John L. Smith’s announcement he plans to file for bankruptcy because of real estate failures in Kentucky.

The bad news stings, but Wilson said the Razorbacks haven’t blinked as they continue to prepare for the fall.

“We could’ve had a number of guys transfer and a lot of things happen. But we’ve stood strong,” Wilson said.

Smith, in fact, said he is impressed by a group that seems to grow stronger through adversity. So he didn’t hesitate to make Arkansas’ aspirations are clear Wednesday.

“We have one goal and we’re not bashful about it,” Smith said. “Our goal is to be a national championship football team and that’s what we want to get done. I know our players relish that as well as our fans and coaches.”

Petrino’s plan for 2012, meanwhile, is much different. It seems his redemption tour is just getting underway.

Some close to the Petrino said Wednesday he continues to heal physically, mentally and emotionally from the accident that ultimately cost him his job and has done more damage to his reputation. Petrino sold his home in Fayetteville and is currently living in Rogers. He was photographed working as a caddy for his daughter, Katie, during a golf tournament in Kentucky on Tuesday.

The phone calls to Arkansas’ team leaders is part of the process, too. Smith said he spoke to Petrino for the first time last week, too, since taking the Arkansas job.

“It was basically about our football team at Arkansas, of which he’s always concerned about that,” Smith said of the conversation. “And, of course, what he’s going to do from here on out with his life. Things he’d like to get done.”

Smith said later Petrino does intend to coach again.

“My suggestion was to stay involved, stay involved, stay involved, which he’ll do,” Smith said when asked about Petrino coaching again. “He’ll stay involved and he’ll be back in, I believe that, next year somewhere.”

It won’t be at Arkansas. But that won’t stop the Razorbacks, who seemed eager Wednesday to finally bury last spring’s turmoil in time for the start of preseason practice, from trying to complete what Petrino started.

“We’re back,” Davis said. “We’re bigger than ever. And we’re ready to play.”