Advertisement
Sports

Nobles leaving Razorbacks

FAYETTEVILLE — Arkansas guard Julysses Nobles will not be back for his senior season.

The Razorbacks announced the Jackson, Miss., native’s departure in a press release Wednesday afternoon. Nobles started 28 of 32 games in 2011-12 and was the most experienced member of coach Mike Anderson’s team.

“I appreciate everything that Julysses did for the Razorback program during his three years,” Anderson said. “He is a good young man who will continue to grow and mature. I wish him the best as he pursues another opportunity to play basketball and earn his degree.”

It’s not clear where Nobles intends to transfer, but he becomes the fourth player to leave the program since Anderson was hired last spring. Guards Rotnei Clarke (Butler) and Jeff Peterson (Florida State), and forward Glenn Bryant (Eastern Michigan) transferred last spring. Nobles’ high school coach, Wayne Brent, told Fox 40 in Jackson, Miss., Nobles intends to transfer to another Division I school to finish his career. Brent also told the television station Nobles is leaving Arkansas after being told he would be the back-up point guard next year.

Nobles averaged 8.7 points and 3.1 assists last season. He also averaged 28.4 minutes a game, which was second-highest on the team behind guard Mardracus Wade (28.8).

Nobles was a strong on-the-ball defender for the Razorbacks. He finished tied with Wade for the team lead in steals (1.5) and was third in 3-point field goals (41).

“I have enjoyed my time as a Razorback,” Nobles said in a statement in Arkansas’ press release. “After speaking with Coach Anderson, I feel it is time for me to move on.”

Nobles’ departure means Arkansas has seven scholarship players returning next season. One of them — leading scorer BJ Young — has submitted his name for consideration for the NBA Draft and has until next Tuesday to decide whether he’ll return to school or turn pro.

Arkansas also has three players signed for its 2012 class and Nobles’ departure means the Hogs can sign three more in the late period. One scholarship may be filled by point guard Dee Wagner, who was named Louisiana’s Mr. Basketball after averaging 20.2 points.

Anderson said Arkansas plans to fill its roster after being short-handed last season.

“We signed three early and we still have two scholarships available, so we’ll continue to recruit,” Anderson said last month. “It may not even stop there. But as of right now we’re just trying to target in on guys that we feel can come and help our basketball program.”