FAYETTEVILLE — Arkansas running back Knile Davis dressed out for the first time during the 2011 season last Friday, standing on the sideline in uniform during the 29-16 win against Kansas State.
A few days later, Davis made it clear it wasn’t be last time he was suiting up for the Razorbacks.
Davis announced Tuesday, through a statement released by the Razorbacks, he will be back at Arkansas for 2012 after considering an early entry into the NFL Draft. His return means the Razorbacks have a key leader and offensive weapon back as they try to take another step toward a national title.
“I am determined to help the program accomplish the goals we have set in place,” Davis said in the statement. “My injury was unfortunate (in 2011), but I feel I have worked extremely hard for the opportunity to lead the Razorbacks on the field.”
Davis didn’t get the opportunity to do so last season after suffering a fractured ankle in early August. He was expected to be a big piece of Arkansas’ offense after rushing for 1,322 yards and 13 touchdowns in 2010, but instead watched from the sideline as the Razorbacks went 11-2 without him.
Independent reporting for Pine Bluff & Jefferson County since 1879.
Davis did work his way back onto the practice field in early November, recovering enough to participate in non-contact drills. He had surgery to remove hardware in his ankle in December, but said last week he planned to practice with the team during its Cotton Bowl preparation in Arlington.
Davis also revealed Jan. 1 he had submitted paperwork to the NFL Draft Advisory Board to gauge his draft status. Davis told reporters he’d like to “come back to do what I didn’t do this year,” but had to consider other options as well after suffering numerous injuries during his career.
“Through my setback last season, I remained positive and was committed to persevering and I plan to apply those principles to this year’s team,” Davis said in the statement. “I believe coach (Bobby) Petrino is the best coach in America, and he has put this program back on the national stage. He has instilled in everyone the expectation to be great and that we will win championships.”
Arkansas ranked 81st in the nation in rushing yards (137.4 a game) without Davis in 2011, leaning on juniors Dennis Johnson (670 yards) and Ronnie Wingo Jr. (458). Johnson said he also submitted paperwork to the NFL Draft Advisory Board, but expected to be back with the Hogs next season.
The Razorbacks also are awaiting decisions from other draft-eligible players like quarterback Tyler Wilson, tight end Chris Gragg and receiver Cobi Hamilton. Arkansas will have to replace senior receivers Jarius Wright, Joe Adams and Greg Childs, but would return the bulk of an offense that averaged 36.8 points and 438.1 yards a game if the juniors decide to join Davis and stay in school.
Davis thanked Arkansas chancellor David Gearhart and athletic director Jeff Long in his statement Tuesday, saying they’ve set “great examples on how to operate every day.” He also said Arkansas has put the resources in place to reach its goals.
“That is very special,” Davis said in the statement. “Also, our fans make playing for the Razorbacks a great experience. I can’t wait for another season with them and my teammates in 2012.”