Advertisement
News

Council approves extra funds for tearing down condemned houses

The 2012 budget for demolishing condemned houses in Pine Bluff was increased by almost 60 percent Monday by the Pine Bluff City Council.

Pine Bluff Inspection and Zoning Department Robert Tucker said the department has spent its 2012 budget for demolishing condemned houses because of diligent work on the part of his employees and good weather. The department has spent about $93,000 this year and asked the council for $60,000 more from undesignated funds to continue the work.

Tucker said his department has already come up with a list of the houses they want to demolish with the money and they will be spread evenly throughout the community.

“Favorable weather has allowed the code enforcement department to do a tremendous job,” Mayor Carl A. Redus Jr. said. “You know, we’ve done two large jobs too, which has helped, and they’ve been on the case as far as getting burnt houses and abandoned houses condemned houses down this year. So hopefully, with favorable weather … we’re going to try to continue to do a good job.”

Alderman Wayne Easterly said he would like to see the city do even more.

“Even with this added to the [$90,000], that’s still not what we used to spend on demolitions when I came on here,” Easterly said. “The budget was $180,000 a year when I first came on the council. … So we’re way under funding our demolitions in the last years.”

Alderman George Stepps is chairman of the Pine Bluff City Council Development and Planning Committee, which deals most directly with the condemned structure demolitions. Stepps said the $60,000 would not be enough to tear down all the condemned houses in Pine Bluff, but it would enhance the Inspection and Zoning Department’s efforts.

To put it in perspective, Tucker said that the $93,000 budget so far this year has allowed them to tear down 35 houses. The number of structures on the city’s condemned list is 425.

Other business

In other business, the council:

• Heard from retired fire chiefs Eddie Lunsford and Ray Jacks, who thanked the council, mayor and public for voting May 22 to increase the millage to add more incoming revenue to the fire and police pension funds, which are facing financial problems.

• Tabled a proposed resolution that would authorize and direct the mayor to contract with Sports Court of Arkansas to replace the gym floor at the Chester Hynes Community Center for a cost of $41,520. Mayor Carl A. Redus Jr. said he wanted more time to get more bids on the project and other repairs that need to be made to the facility.

• Rejected 6-1 proposed amendments to the Pine Bluff Police Department Policy and Procedures Manual, including establishing guidelines for inspections of police personnel and equipment and amending the uniform guidelines concerning the hats officers should wear.

• Approved 7-0 an ordinance closing a portion of an alley between West 11th Avenue and West Martin Place.

• Approved 7-0 an ordinance amending the city’s alcohol and drug use testing policy to make it also apply to public safety employees and employees in security-sensitive positions.

• Approved 7-0 several resolutions appointing or re-appointing members of city boards and commissions: Donna Mooney, Rosie Pettigrew and Carla Martin to the Pine Bluff/Jefferson County Library Board of Trustees; Dee Herring and Darnell Hawkins to the Historic District Commission; and Christopher Blunt to the Parks and Recreation Commission.

• Approved 7-0 a resolution commending outgoing Parks and Recreation Commissioner Teki Jimenez for her service.

• And approved 7-0 a resolution charging the costs of correcting nuisances as delinquent taxes to a list of eight property owners.