Advertisement
News

Colonial Steak House announces July 15 closure

Colonial Steak House announces July 15 closure
Colonial Steak House at 111 W. Eighth Ave. in Pine Bluff is pictured Sunday. (Pine Bluff Commercial/I.C. Murrell)

Colonial Steak House, an award-winning Pine Bluff restaurant at 111 W. Eighth Ave., will close later this month after 51 years in operation.

Allison Hall, the restaurant owner, announced the closure on Colonial’s Facebook page Sunday, stating the final night of business will be July 15. The restaurant opens from 5-9 p.m. Tuesdays through Saturdays and is still taking reservations of tables of five or more; otherwise, service will be first-come, first-served, she said.

“For 51 years, you guys have shared your lives with Colonial Steakhouse,” Hall posted. “We have watched graduation celebrations, wedding rehearsals, anniversaries and job promotions. We have bounced babies on our hips so Mom and Dad could have a few moments to enjoy each other’s company and their dinner. We have cried with families when God called their loved ones home. We have laughed at the jokes and pranks played out by regulars and we will cherish every moment made.

“But all things have a beginning and an end. Unfortunately time has come to permanently close Colonial Steak House.”

Hall operates the restaurant inside a former schoolhouse owned by Scott Mouser, who is Hall’s business partner.

“There have been many factors that played a part in my decision,” Hall said. “Unfortunately, so many of our customers have left the Pine Bluff area. Couple that with rising costs for everything from products to utilities and it makes it nearly impossible to survive in this economic climate.”

Contact information for Mouser was not immediately available, but Hall said the future of the building will be his to make.

“I know he is open to keeping the building useful since it has such a rich history in the town,” she said.

Hall said in the post the decision didn’t come easily. “And those closest to me (know) how hard I have fought for this to not happen,” she added.

“But sometimes you have to make way for what’s next. I don’t know what that may be at this point but I know my God has brought me further in life than some believed I could go so this will be no different,” she said.

Hall went on to thank patrons for her 23 years in business as well as her staff and family.

She said of her staff: “There will never be another job where I get to see my best friends every day. The sacrifices you all have made alongside me over the last year has humbled me and I am lucky to have you in my lives.”

In 2022, Colonial was inducted into the Division of Arkansas Heritage’s Arkansas Food Hall of Fame. Hall told The Commercial at the time she believed Colonial earned induction through attention to detail and consistency.

The restaurant started at the corner of Fifth Avenue and Beech Street in August 1974 and was relocated to West Eighth Avenue in 1987. Dana Gateley, Hall’s mother, owned Colonial for 25 years, according to a Commercial article.

“I’m so blessed to have amazing kids that have stepped in when needed to work, a Mom that stops everything if I need an errand ran or an extra set of hands on a busy night and a husband that has been my biggest fan from day 1,” Hall posted. “Without his love and support I would have never had the courage to do what I’ve done over the last 5 years. Thank you is just not enough for the sacrifices they have made.”

In addition to its steaks, bacon-wrapped pork filets, seafood and other entrees, Colonial is known for Babe’s Blossom Sauce, created by longtime employee Linda “Babe” Scarver. The recipe is kept a secret, but Hall said in 2022 it’s an apricot and brandy sauce.

Hall asked the public for patience ahead of what she said would be a “very emotional” and “most likely busy” week.