Advertisement
News

China trip full of meetings, potential business interests, Beebe says

LITTLE ROCK — Gov. Mike Beebe said Tuesday his trip to China has been productive and he has already met with companies interested in investing in the United States.

“Obviously we want to be on that short list,” the Arkansas governor told reporters during a telephone conference call at 5:30 p.m. (6:30 a.m. Wednesday where he was in China.)

“It’s been very busy so far,” he said.

Beebe, who left for China April 4 and is to return Sunday, said he has met with a number of dignitaries, including the vice premier, the vice minister of commerce and the governors of several provinces, including Shandong Province, which has a population of about 96 million.

“It’s one of the largest … the second most populous province in China,” he said.

“One of the things that we have done here is that we have advanced a couple of issues and policies related to existing Arkansas companies that are already here,” Beebe said, adding that he met with Wal-Mart officials and visited a Wal-Mart store.

“The bulk of the time has been spent visiting with potential Chinese investment for Arkansas,” he said, adding that he has met with two potential investors involved in “light or heavy manufacturing.”

One of them has indicated they plan to “go somewhere” in the United States, and Arkansas officials are promoting the state, Beebe said.

“I felt real good about that one,” he said.

Beebe is in China with his wife, Ginger; his chief of staff, Morril Harriman; Harriman’s wife, Susan; and Grant Tennille, director of the Arkansas Economic Development Commission.

“We’ve had a series of dinners with either political or business leaders,” Beebe said, adding that he has been impressed with the Chinese people and their interest in the United States.

He said he plans to meet with two more companies between now and the weekend.