Advertisement
News

Boy, 16, to be charged as adult in shooting

A 16-year-old Pine Bluff boy will be charged as an adult after he allegedly shot another teenager on March 15.

Kentarious Whitmore was interviewed with his mother present and allegedly admitted to carrying out the shooting, Pine Bluff Police Detective Cassandra Briggs-McAfee said in a probable cause affidavit presented in district court Tuesday.

The 15-year-old victim was taken to Jefferson Regional Medical Center, then by air ambulance to a hospital in Little Rock, where he was listed in critical condition with life threatening injuries.

Briggs-McAfee said the victim received a gunshot wound to the abdomen and told police Whitmore was the person who shot him. A single .380-caliber shell casing was found in the roadway at West 17th Avenue and Elm Street.

According to the affidavit, witnesses said they were walking from Pine Bluff High School when an older model tan or brown Lincoln Town Car drove down the street, and the driver exchanged words with the victim before they heard a shot.

After police located an address for Whitmore, they went to the house, where his mother told them that he had been driving her car, a Lincoln Town Car.

After he allegedly admitted to the shooting, Whitmore directed police to a house on Belmont Drive, where they recovered a .380-caliber handgun.

Pine Bluff District Judge John Kearney set a $100,000 bond for Whitmore after ruling prosecutors have probable cause to charge him with first-degree battery.